[geeks] Advanced Server 2000???

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Oct 14 09:44:36 CDT 2004

Wed, 13 Oct 2004 @ 22:05 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo said:

> On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 01:55:43AM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > Came across this quote on a software problem on cnn.com:
> >
> > <quote>
> > The genesis of the problem was the transition in 2001 by Harris Corp. of the Federal Aviation Administration's Voice Switching Control System from Unix-based servers to Microsoft Corp.'s off-the-shelf Windows Advanced Server 2000.
>
> I will see your Windows horror story and raise you one:
>
> [snip]
>
> The Royal Navy's new, state-of-the-art destroyer has been fitted with
> combat management software that can be hacked into, crashes easily and
> is vulnerable to viruses, according to one of the system's designers
> who was fired after raising his concerns.

Ouch.

Windows should never be used in any thing like aviation control or
warship systems.  Period, end of story.

Just the fact they can't be headless should be enough to keep them out
of any such application.

In Canada, they are introducing ATC systems using Windows too.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [Well, I have entered the "metallic years."
Silver in my hair, gold in my teeth, lead in my ass... -- Sheldon Hall in