[geeks] Advanced Server 2000???

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Wed Oct 13 21:05:17 CDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 01:55:43AM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Came across this quote on a software problem on cnn.com:
>
> <quote>
> The genesis of the problem was the transition in 2001 by Harris Corp. of the Federal Aviation Administration's Voice Switching Control System from Unix-based servers to Microsoft Corp.'s off-the-shelf Windows Advanced Server 2000.

I will see your Windows horror story and raise you one:

[snip]

The Royal Navy's new, state-of-the-art destroyer has been fitted with
combat management software that can be hacked into, crashes easily and
is vulnerable to viruses, according to one of the system's designers
who was fired after raising his concerns.

[/snip]

(ACM Risks digest)

--Patrick