[geeks] Ultra-1/170e replacement

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Wed Oct 13 21:23:06 CDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 17:59 +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > From: patrick at mail.zill.net (Patrick Giagnocavo)
> > Date: 2004/10/12 Tue PM 01:51:06 GMT
> > To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> > Subject: Re: Re: [geeks] Ultra-1/170e replacement
> > > Well, I'd suggest an Ultra 30 or 60, with 300 MHz (or better) CPUs -
> > they are quiet, quick, and make great desktops, esp. with two high-end
> > framebuffers ;^) Unfortunately, IDE drives are not supported locally,
> >
> > Is there an architectural reason or other reason that an Ultra 2 or 5
> > with the same CPUs would be less desireable?  The U60 is rather large.
> > Supposedly the 360Mhz CPU with 4MB cache is quite quick, though.
>
> Well, without knowing his application, I assumed desktop use. The

Oops, did I somehow leave that out?  Darn me and my re-writing emails 4
or 5 times, I know I had it in there at some point.

Anyway, the U1 is actually my server box right now.  It's quite ballsy
enough to run SA for myself and the few other users that I have, but I
worry that it might not hold up running that spiffy photo management web
app that somebody posted a week or two ago.  Ideally I'd have 4 drives,
though 3 would cut it (mirrored system, mirrored data) and a faster CPU.

>  U30/60 can take 2x 1.6" SCA drives, the U2 only takes 1" drives, the
> U30/60 takes some very nice framebuffers (Elites come to mind) in
> comparison to mainstream U2 Creators, and the U30/60s are PCI-based
> (which may or may not be a bonus).

Might let me add a non-sucky IDE controller for not too much money,
though I should look and see what the driver status for my Preferred OSs
are.

> The U5s are nice, and I recommended them as well, but to exploit the
> IDE controller included for the cheap storage.

Meh, I'm rather mixed on U5s, though I've not owned one, just used them
a bit.  The IDE sucks ass, but I suppose for a webserver that just hosts
family photo albums, it's not a big deal (certainly not as big a deal as
CPU and RAM).  I assume that they will happily address a 120GB drive?
	Greg

--
Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc at linuxweasel.com>