[geeks] Ultra-1/170e replacement

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 12 12:59:33 CDT 2004

> From: patrick at mail.zill.net (Patrick Giagnocavo)
> Date: 2004/10/12 Tue PM 01:51:06 GMT
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: Re: [geeks] Ultra-1/170e replacement
> > Well, I'd suggest an Ultra 30 or 60, with 300 MHz (or better) CPUs -
> they are quiet, quick, and make great desktops, esp. with two high-end
> framebuffers ;^) Unfortunately, IDE drives are not supported locally,
>
> Is there an architectural reason or other reason that an Ultra 2 or 5
> with the same CPUs would be less desireable?  The U60 is rather large.
> Supposedly the 360Mhz CPU with 4MB cache is quite quick, though.

Well, without knowing his application, I assumed desktop use. The U30/60 can take 2x 1.6" SCA drives, the U2 only takes 1" drives, the U30/60 takes some very nice framebuffers (Elites come to mind) in comparison to mainstream U2 Creators, and the U30/60s are PCI-based (which may or may not be a bonus).

The U5s are nice, and I recommended them as well, but to exploit the IDE controller included for the cheap storage.

The U2 is a great machine, but as a desktop I prefer the U30/60 - the U2 makes a very nice server.