[geeks] Ultra-1/170e replacement

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Oct 12 10:11:12 CDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 11:12:22AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Tue, 12 Oct 2004 @ 13:45 +0000, Lionel Peterson said:
>
> > A zippy Ultra 5 or 10 (333, 400, 0r 440 MHz CPUs) would give you IDE,
> > and pretty reasonable performance upgrade from a U-170/e, but is
> > really a performance increment over the Ultra 1, not a *profound*
> > increase.
>
> Can you get three IDE drives in either of those?
>
> The only way I can bring myself to trust IDE for important stuff is to
> pair them up in mirrors.
>
> So... I was thinking Sun U5 with a single OS drive, and a mirrored pair
> for the data.
>
> Possible?

Technically, yes.  Likely unsupported though.  And you might have to
remove the CD-ROM to make it fit.

However, it only has two channels, so what your propose would require
putting two drives on one channel.

However, what you could do is buy a bootable SCSI card, and put the OS
drive and CD-ROM (presumably an external unit) on SCSI, and but the two
data drives on the two IDE channels.

Small SCSI harddrives are cheap (I'm thinking a 4 or 9 gig is more than
enough here), and the SCSI cards are also cheap (I think mine was a $12
BIN from ebay).

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net