[geeks] Ultra-1/170e replacement

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Oct 12 10:12:22 CDT 2004

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 @ 13:45 +0000, Lionel Peterson said:

> A zippy Ultra 5 or 10 (333, 400, 0r 440 MHz CPUs) would give you IDE,
> and pretty reasonable performance upgrade from a U-170/e, but is
> really a performance increment over the Ultra 1, not a *profound*
> increase.

Can you get three IDE drives in either of those?

The only way I can bring myself to trust IDE for important stuff is to
pair them up in mirrors.

So... I was thinking Sun U5 with a single OS drive, and a mirrored pair
for the data.

Possible?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [There is a limit to how stupid people really
are -- just as there's a limit to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.