[geeks] Re: [rescue] It's official, the U.S. is screwedfor4 more years

Michael Horton Michael.Horton at acntv.com
Tue Nov 9 14:17:47 CST 2004

> circumstances when christians are prehibited from even self-defense.

Hmm?  Cite?

just as jesus of nazareth (jesus christ) did not offer a defense before
pilate but said that his 'kingdom was not of this earth otherwise my
followers would fight' for his release, christians are prohibitted from
self-defense when persecuted.

jesus of nazareth: if they persecute me, they will persecute you
peter: follow the example of jesus christ when you are persecuted for
your faith (first epistle, chapters 3 & 4)
the practice of the early church was the same: not to deny their faith,
that is, to deny that jesus is lord by affirming that caesar was lord
and to accept the persecution they experienced because their faith.
ignatius wrote a number of letters while be taken from palestine to
greece or rome for execution and his letters affirm this practice.
other early christian documents have similar ideas.  (polycarp, justin
martyr, et al.)
running away was permitted under, at least, some circumstances (the
early chapter of the book of acts shows this.) but self-defense never
was condoned.

So what _does_ 'kased' mean?

kased is probably better transliterated as "khesed" or "chesed".
that will give more google hits.
(my mistake in the transliteration/spelling.  i'm deaf and can't hear
all the letters!)
it is a hebrew word that describes the affection that god has toward his
covenant people.
khesed/chesed rivals any word used in the new testament, that is, agape.
based on the length of time covered by the old testament, there are many
more examples of god's affections toward his covenant people.  this
permits a fuller understanding of god's affection toward his covenant.

khesed/chesed is translated by "stedfast love", "lovingkindness",
"tenderkindness", "love" by some of the translations.
being someone with a harsh childhood and adolescence, i enjoy and relate
to "lovingkindness" because it shows the effect of god's affection
toward me as well as the whole of his covenant people.