[geeks] Re: [rescue] It's official, the U.S. is screwedfor4 more years

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Nov 9 14:36:40 CST 2004

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 03:17:47PM -0500, Michael Horton wrote:
> > circumstances when christians are prehibited from even self-defense.
>
> Hmm?  Cite?
>
> just as jesus of nazareth (jesus christ) did not offer a defense before
> pilate but said that his 'kingdom was not of this earth otherwise my
> followers would fight' for his release, christians are prohibitted from
> self-defense when persecuted.

That, IMHO, is wa whacked as Islam's idea that you go directly to
paradise if you die fighting the infidel, regardless of anything else
you may have done.

> it is a hebrew word that describes the affection that god has toward his
> covenant people.
> khesed/chesed rivals any word used in the new testament, that is, agape.
> based on the length of time covered by the old testament, there are many
> more examples of god's affections toward his covenant people.  this
> permits a fuller understanding of god's affection toward his covenant.
>
> khesed/chesed is translated by "stedfast love", "lovingkindness",
> "tenderkindness", "love" by some of the translations.
> being someone with a harsh childhood and adolescence, i enjoy and relate
> to "lovingkindness" because it shows the effect of god's affection
> toward me as well as the whole of his covenant people.

So ....  God loves his chosen people, but forbids them to defend
themselves against persecution?

See, it's things like this that are one of the reasons I've never been
able to accept the basic ideas of Christianity.  If God exists, and the
Bible is an accurate rendering of his acts, intentions and grand design,
then the old guy's got to be crazier than a fruitbat.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net