[geeks] Creator 3D graphics on a Sony 400PS

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Aug 8 01:57:00 CDT 2004

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> I know it probably has more BNC connectors than it needs, but I
> figured the unused signal would be ignored.

It depends on what signal is being sent.  For example, I have an IBM
monitor designed for connecting to an RS/6000.  RS/6000s use a connector
that is very similar to SGIs.  However, RS/6000s can either have sync
signals over the green pin or over separate pins.  The SGIs are strictly
sync-on-green, and use some of the additional pins for monitor ID
probing.  If I don't let the sense pins float, the monitor sees the
sense probe as a weird sync signal.

> In fact, I get no reaction at all unless I hook up all five, when it
> says the signal is out of range.

Try reversing the sync cables, then.  It sounds like you're getting H
for V and V for H.  The ordering of the BNC cables is not a standard.

--
Jonathan Patschke )"We're Germans and we use Unix.  That's a combination
Elgin, TX        (  of two demographic groups known to have no sense of