[geeks] Creator 3D graphics on a Sony 400PS

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Sat Aug 7 19:49:50 CDT 2004

On Saturday, August 7, 2004, at 04:00 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> I have a Sun Ultra1 and since it has a Creator graphics card, I wanted
> to boot it up in graphics mode to see how well this card does.
>
> I hooked the card up to the BNC connectors on the back of my Sony
> Multiscan 400PS, which is supposed to sync almost anything, but
> it doesn't work.
>
> I used a 13W3->BNC video cable that was sold as being for Sun video
> cards.

What you might have here my friend is a fixed-frequency monitor.  I
currently run such a beast (Cornerstone 21") complete with BNC
connectors on my Ultra 1 with Creator 3D.  I had to boot it up with a
gumby monitor and then enter the commands:

 >setenv output-device=screen:r1600x1280x76m
 >reset

At the OK prompt from a STOP-A before booting.

The info you need is most likely here:  http://tinyurl.com/5x37p

Check the range of your monitor and make sure that the setenv command
above matches what your monitor is able to display.

Warning - the Creator 3D at the above resolution is incredibly slow
when used in full-screen text mode.  "300 baud modem" slow if you get
my drift.

Hope that helps.  If you need more info after consulting the FAQ let me
know and I'll set my U1 back up - it's currently down after being moved
to the garage.

Mike Hebel
----
"I think we used too much!" - Chris Knight