[geeks] Sun Ultra 1

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Aug 7 15:33:22 CDT 2004

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 @ 19:19 +0200, Joost van de Griek said:

> On 2004-08-07 16:52, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > Have any of you guys run the 64-bit version of NetBSD?  I've got to
> > decide between NetBSD and Solaris on this machine.  NetBSD is what my
> > current Sun SS5 server runs, so it would be nice to stick with it.
>
> I've just started running it on an Ultra 1/140. Seems fine like any other
> NetBSD port, a bit quirky here and there, but that may have to do with the
> way I installed it (netboot/netinstall from Win2K machine) and did the
> initial setup (via HyperTerminal on same Win2K machine).

What do you mean by quirky?

I have almost no "quirk" problems with Netbsd-sparc, but then that's a
well tested setup.

I'm mostly wanting to know if it has been reliable.  I can deal with a
few quirks if they are minor.

> Thing to bear in mind is that there are no binary packages available for
> NetBSD/sparc64, so you'll have to compile everything when installing. Not
> too big a deal; it does mean, however, that everything you install is fully
> optimised exactly for your machine.

That's no problem.  There aren't any binaries for NetBSD-sparc either.

Outside of it taking a long time, I don't see why this is true.  I've
thought about getting a big drive on my SS5 and just doing a full build
to get a lot of packages, but I have no way of hosting them.

> Long story short: if you know your way around NetBSD, the sparc64 port is no
> stranger.

That's one thing I like about NetBSD... it almost doesn't matter what
hardware you are running on.  I like being able to deploy it anywhere.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I wish life was not so short. Languages
take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about." - J.