[geeks] Sun Ultra 1

Joost van de Griek jvdg at sparcpark.net
Sat Aug 7 12:19:24 CDT 2004

On 2004-08-07 16:52, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Have any of you guys run the 64-bit version of NetBSD?  I've got to
> decide between NetBSD and Solaris on this machine.  NetBSD is what my
> current Sun SS5 server runs, so it would be nice to stick with it.

I've just started running it on an Ultra 1/140. Seems fine like any other
NetBSD port, a bit quirky here and there, but that may have to do with the
way I installed it (netboot/netinstall from Win2K machine) and did the
initial setup (via HyperTerminal on same Win2K machine).

Thing to bear in mind is that there are no binary packages available for
NetBSD/sparc64, so you'll have to compile everything when installing. Not
too big a deal; it does mean, however, that everything you install is fully
optimised exactly for your machine.

Long story short: if you know your way around NetBSD, the sparc64 port is no
stranger.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?