[geeks] RedHat restructure

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Wed Nov 5 10:23:57 CST 2003

That network config stuff was just broken in 9.1 it was fine in 9.0, sucks.

I do like the fact that they let you select what you want to install all at once and then the
install process begins afterwards.  I hated having to sit there and baby the install just waiting
for a certain "series" to finish.

They have added more crap but none of it is required or even expected which is more than i can say
for any other distro.

/KRM

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:20:59 -0600
"Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Kevin wrote:
>
> > I realize not everyone here is a linux fan, but i, for one, would be
> > very pleased to see this "credibility" trickle down to Slackware.
>
> Speaking of Slackware, I used 9.1 this weekend for the first time,
> having not touched it since 7.0.  Slackware's porkin' on up there at
> 2CDs[0], and network configuration isn't nearly as cut-and-dry[1] as
> it used to be now that they've broken out the top half of rc.inet1
> into rc.inet1.conf.
>
> Primarily, though, I was a lot more shocked by the amount of crap
> available on the installation CD.  Kinda sad, really.
>
> I guess I'm spoiled by the BSD approach of supporting a relatively
> small amount of software as "the OS", while letting porters or pkgsrc
> maintainers deal with the rest of it.
>

> [0] Well, four, if you count the source and misc CDs.
> [1] At least, for multihomed sites with more than four ethernet
>     interfaces.
> --
> Jonathan Patschke  ) "Earth works.  That's proof positive that Mother
> Elgin, TX         (   Nature isn't a suit."            --Dave McGuire

"Microsoft is fighting these initiatives (OSS in government) like a cornered badger on
amphetamines."

keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/