[geeks] RedHat restructure

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Nov 5 10:20:59 CST 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Kevin wrote:

> I realize not everyone here is a linux fan, but i, for one, would be
> very pleased to see this "credibility" trickle down to Slackware.

Speaking of Slackware, I used 9.1 this weekend for the first time,
having not touched it since 7.0.  Slackware's porkin' on up there at
2CDs[0], and network configuration isn't nearly as cut-and-dry[1] as
it used to be now that they've broken out the top half of rc.inet1
into rc.inet1.conf.

Primarily, though, I was a lot more shocked by the amount of crap
available on the installation CD.  Kinda sad, really.

I guess I'm spoiled by the BSD approach of supporting a relatively
small amount of software as "the OS", while letting porters or pkgsrc
maintainers deal with the rest of it.

[0] Well, four, if you count the source and misc CDs.
[1] At least, for multihomed sites with more than four ethernet
    interfaces.
--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Earth works.  That's proof positive that Mother
Elgin, TX         (   Nature isn't a suit."            --Dave McGuire