[geeks] This whole SCO thing is out of control...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat May 31 10:32:54 CDT 2003

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 09:54:16PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:

> It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to find snippets of code 5-10 lines
> long in the Linux kernel[0] that are in common with the SCO kernel ... after
> all they're both doing the same job on the same hardware.

I am willing to bet that any two programmers might well have code that
is very close, if not nearly identical, if doing the same job.

There are some things which cannot be done N different ways for N
programmers.  Some times are always going to be very close.

I've seen assembly programs create identical code for brief spaces,
especially when optimizing.  Sometimes there is literally a single best
way of writing something.

> I don't think they really qualify as stupid. Certainly evil, but they're
> already making money out of this (the Microsoft license) and there was a
> reasonable chance that they're going to make a fair bit more.

This whole thing smells like a test to me.

The events on the surface don't make sense, and while I don't think SCO
is brilliant, certainly they cannot have missed the obvious things we
have discovered since the lawsuit was filed.

They, or someone, are up to something.

> At least before Novell decided that they haven't got a leg to stand on.

This part makes M$'s recent licensing interesting.