[geeks] Sun UniPack question

Dave Kimmel crisco_kid at shaw.ca
Fri May 16 20:27:57 CDT 2003

Hey all,

I've got a Sun UniPack (model 611) that I need a new drive for.  It's
going to be hooked to the onboard SCSI port on a Sun Sparcstation 10.
Since this is for work we'll be buying a brand new drive.  Google has
enlightened me somewhat, but I'm still unclear about how backward
compatibility works with SCSI.

So, here are my questions:  Can I just buy anything that has an SCA
connector (and that will physically fit in the Unipack) and have it Just
Work with this setup?  Is there anything that I should avoid?  Will
Solaris 7 have any problems with a big drive (say 36GB) in this setup or
do I need to move this machine up to something more modern?

Thanks in advance!
-- Dave Kimmel
   crisco_kid at shaw.ca