[geeks] Quick CG question...

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Jun 14 20:14:12 CDT 2003

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, KRM wrote:

> rendering and production is going to linux on peecees now.  I've always
> wondered why they chose Suns to render on as opposed to using larger SGI
> machiunes....

Bang per buck.  Recent Suns have a -lot- more CPU and FPU horsepower per
dollar than SGIs.  Bench a U10/300 against an Octane 195 sometime.  So
long as you're not hitting storage or RAM, the U10 will slap the Octane
silly.  But, when you start getting I/O intensive, the U10 can't keep
the CPU as saturated as the Octane, and the Octane pulls ahead.  On
larger Suns (such as an E6500), this is not an issue, and the faster Sun
is -still- cheaper than the SGI.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren