[geeks] Quick CG question...

KRM kevin at pipeline.com
Sat Jun 14 19:59:00 CDT 2003

Film recorders a.k.a film laser printers.  Images are written frame by
frame as well, although it is an easier process than single frame video
recording was back in the days.  Back then, they had to rewind the tape
several feet, get a "running start" and lay an image down one frame
after the last, then rewind again and so on and so on.  I believe this
was due to time code issues, but every single frame VTR i've seen worked
in that manner.  That's why they used to break on a constant basis, they
were worked to death.

Going many years back (mid eighties) they actually pointed a 35mm camera
at a shrouded CRT.  I remember a 3D animation that came out around 1986
called "The Magic Egg" (or something like that), was recorded in this
manner.

/KRM