[geeks] gps on plane

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Jul 25 20:08:26 CDT 2003

"From: Hugh Saunders <hugh at mjr.org>
"
"The other day, I was using a small gps unit on a flight from
"uk-->greece, just looking at how far to go etc. Was fine for about
"1.5hrs but then one of the flight crew asked me to turn it off. Thats
"fine, if they aren't happy with me having electronics then i'll turn it
"off -safety is way more important than gadegtry.  The thing that
"confused me was the reason given, they said that you arent allowed
"anything that is capable of transmitting or receiving a signal. But..
"they allow people to have walkmans with radio's in them! they are
"capable of receiving a signal!
"
"I think a more sensible rule would be disallowing anything that is
"capable of transmitting a signal or if they are worried about sparks and
"stuff, just banning anything electronic.
"
"Am I being stupid here, or does anyone agree that allowing fm radio
"receivers but not allowing gps receivers is a bit illogical?

if that's their real reason, it is indeed oxymoronic.  but [putting
paranoid/cynic hat on] perhaps it's just an excuse...