[geeks] Psychotropics aka anti-depressants, etc

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sat Jul 26 14:20:06 CDT 2003

> You should research more carefully and think before you post. That cute
> little emoticon at the end of your message, is really upseting. There
> was no reason to insult us.
>
> Geoff.

Unfortunately, ADD/AHD is used by a number of individuals as an excuse for poor
performance in schools.  "My son/daughter needs you to <perform extra services>
becaused they are diagnosed with ADD"  In a particular case that I dealt with,
it was nothing more than dad/mom wanted special attention given to their
daughter who was just not working in class.  A good talk with the student did
more than all the special "modifications" they wanted.  She was not taking any
meds.  BTW, she did a lot better after our talk.  Of course, there was some
background with that family.  They tried to start a law suit against the B of
Ed because their older daughter was not validictorian, so everybody ran for
cover when they showed up.

I know there are individuals who do have these problems and may need certain
drugs to correct chemical imbalances.  I'm not trying to diminish your situation
but realize that these things do get over prescribed and it is BIG business for
pharm companies and some segments of the educational system.  That makes it bad
for those that truely need the help.

Bob