[geeks] gun stuffs... was UPS stuffs

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Thu Jul 17 16:42:12 CDT 2003

On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 01:45 PM, Andrew Weiss wrote:
<snip "children killing children" story>

My husband used to live with a woman who had two children.  To
demonstrate why *ALL* children need to be "gun proofed", he took
the firing pin out of his 9mm and gave it to the 20 month old boy.
My husband asked the boy to show how it worked.  The kid took the
slide in both hands, put his feet on the grip, and racked it.

He then took them both out and gun proofed them.  Smaller kids
don't get that guns are dangerous, thanks to television and movies.

If *you* teach *your children* to never to touch a firearm when
you are not around and to immediately leave and find a responsible
adult if they see someone picking up a firearm who is not supervised,
your child will not ever have this problem.

You wouldn't have a pool in your back yard without teaching your
kids to swim, would you?  Do you trust the fence to keep them out?
What if your neighbor has a pool?  Are you going to trust that
neighbor to keep the pool safe?  Oh, wait, maybe we better outlaw
pools.

Requiring training of adults will not fix this problem.  Irresponsible
people are everywhere, and laws can't fix that.

Child safety is a common argument for gun control...which is not
backed up by accident statistics.  If you follow the same logic,
based on the statistics, we would have to get rid of pools, bicycles,
automobiles, and a host of other things that kill kids, too.

=Nadine=