[geeks] gun stuffs... was UPS stuffs

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu Jul 17 15:45:30 CDT 2003

On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 03:37 PM, Brian Dunbar wrote:

> Simplifying greatly; People who have sympathy for the 'pro gun' point
> of
> view place more emphasis in belief in the rights of the common man and
> the
> right of self determination.  Folks who sympathize with the 'anti gun'
> argument are more statist and believe that the more control over the
> individual the better.

Not true.  I lean anti most of the time and I'm not for government
control.  I would just rather not put my safety or the safety of my
future currently non-existent children in the hands of others... (I
know it can be used to argue both ways but think of the following
scenario)  You send your children over to the house of a friend of
theirs.  You don't know that the parents of the friend keep a gun in a
poorly locked up place and you don't know that that parent has trained
the child in proper gun safety or whether or not they have spoken to
the child about the gun at all... friend obtains gun... kills your
child in a game.  Stronger gun laws are just a set of brakes to slow
down and reduce the chance of this happening... including requiring
training.  The way I see it it still allows dedicated gun enthusiasts
and responsible people to obtain guns... they just have to work for
it... so I am in favor of both sides perhaps.  A gun by far is one
killing tool that is far to easy to use and almost impossible for a
normal person to defend against... for me personally, it is also one of
my least favorite death scenarios because it places your fate entirely
in someone else's hands... and to a person who doesn't like government
control or any authority that hasn't been earned placed over them it is
in a sense the ultimate insult.

Nobody will win an anti-pro gun argument, however.

Andrew