[geeks] gun stuffs... was UPS stuffs

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu Jul 17 17:20:16 CDT 2003

On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 05:42 PM, N.Miller wrote:

> On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 01:45 PM, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> <snip "children killing children" story>
>
> <snip>
> You wouldn't have a pool in your back yard without teaching your
> kids to swim, would you?  Do you trust the fence to keep them out?
> What if your neighbor has a pool?  Are you going to trust that
> neighbor to keep the pool safe?  Oh, wait, maybe we better outlaw
> pools.

Pools don't kill children as fast as guns.

> Requiring training of adults will not fix this problem.  Irresponsible
> people are everywhere, and laws can't fix that.
>
> Child safety is a common argument for gun control...which is not
> backed up by accident statistics.  If you follow the same logic,
> based on the statistics, we would have to get rid of pools, bicycles,
> automobiles, and a host of other things that kill kids, too.

Cars kill as fast as guns, but there are already mandatory driving
lessons for people to get on the road.  Why not mandatory gun lessons?
It certainly doesn't hurt.

Also... of course common sense and teaching of children should happen
on all fronts.  Notice I never said outlaw guns.