[geeks] Re: New SGI workstation

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jul 10 12:40:27 CDT 2003

>"From: Gavin Hubbard <ghub005 at xtra.co.nz>
>"
>"There is a Sequent PPro quad in the room next to me which is running win2k. No flames please - it is running win2k because I couldn't get the Emulex FC-AL cards working reliably under anything else.
>
>have you considered installing windows sfu 3.0?  this includes the
>very good interix 2.2 unix layer that you can run along side or
>instead of win32 on the nt/w2k kernel.  kernel drivers and config
>files are of course shared.  costs $100, $50 with edu discount.
>Andrew Hay                                  the genius nature

I haven't considered using sfu and I really should look into it. I understand that it has got some really good nfs tools.

I remember reading a few years ago that MS bought a company that developed the sfu technology and that some of the sfu components are GPL'd because they include GPL'd code. I like the idea of buying a GPL'd product from MS :-)

Regards,

Gavin