[geeks] Re: New SGI workstation

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jul 10 12:46:20 CDT 2003

>On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:00:21 +0200
>Bjorn Ramqvist <v53278 at g.haggve.se> wrote:
>

>> "The new system should serve this niche well and help pay the bills as
>> the company transitions to Intel's Itanic processor."
>>
>> Is this the raw fact? Are they really moving away from IRIX+Mips, that
>> once made them unique? I hope SOMEONE over there can think longer than
>> his nose, cause the Altix is Just Another PeeCee(tm).
>>

>That's apparently a true statement.  Unofficial word is that SGI wants to do
>the Itanic thing and dump MIPS.  However, I don't know that I fully believe
>it.  Rumor is that they also are going to stop developement of Irix.  I
>*really* hope that's false - but SGI's management has made some rather
>assinine decisions in the past, so anything is possible.
>
>--
>Kurt

The local SGI guys have told me (unoffically) that SGI is going to pull back and only produce high-end and HPC equipment for at least the next 2-3 years.

However one of the exciting technologies they've got right now is clustered xfs. It has a number of cross-platform clients and from what I've seen is pretty damn good.

Regards,

Gavin