[geeks] Re: New SGI workstation

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jul 10 12:33:02 CDT 2003

>Gavin Hubbard wrote:
>>
>> >I'd say a PeeCee is a machine equipped around the x86-architecture,
>> >capable of running Linux-x86 or M$-products. That sorts out any
>> >possibilites misclassifying older Sequent-machines as PeeCees. (They are
>> >true iron, although running X86-processors)
>>
>> This isn't a good definition as all of the Sequent quads from at least the Pentium Pro onwards are Intel MPS compliant systems.
>
>Probably, I have no real idea.
>Though I was refering to the older machines, the 386-equipped ones.
>
>/Bjorn

Sorry - I didn't mean to sound patronising. I was just trying to point out that the later Sequent quads have fairly basic technology at heart. Not quite commodity, but close to it.

Speaking of which, I got a tour of a Unisys datacentre earlier this week. The datacentre manager started gushing about how cool & advanced the new Clearpath systems were (they're partitionable 32-way Xeon boxes running MCP and/or windows). I really, really wanted to ask him "A development history stretching back to the UNIVAC and this is the best that your system architects and engineers can do?".

Regards,

Gavin