[geeks] 1911A1 handguns

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Thu Jan 9 02:46:52 CST 2003

Michael,

You probably already checked these but there are a few very common
causes for stovepipes.

1. By far the MOST common, and the first thing I check with almost any
repeated failure is the mag spring, even on a failure to eject.
2. How strong is your recoil spring? The backup (actually AMT's in
general)is often shipped with a recoil spring too strong for most loads
because of the relatively low mass of the slide. A too strong recoil
spring is the most common cause of a stovepipe.
3. Try differnet loads. Especially try more powerful loads, but mix them
around a bit
4. Check the extractor tension and ejector projection. Also check for
any burrs, scoring, or roughness around the ejection mechanism or
ejector port. Check your fired cases for clear but not overly deep or
scored extractor and ejector marks, and any other markings.
5. How tight is your chamber?
6. Do you have proper headspace?
7. How is the fit on your barell bushing and link?
8. Is your hold firm and secure and is the pistol recoiling properly
into the web of your hand, with proper skeletal support? This is a big
issue for plastic framed pistols, alloy pistols, and any design that has
a tendency to absorb recoil impulse, or convert it into flip. It has the
same effect as having a too strong recoil spring.

I can't think of anything else that would cause a problem. Like I said
Im sure you've checked all of these, but maybe you missed one. Hope this
helps

Chris Byrne