[geeks] 1911A1 handguns

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Thu Jan 9 01:43:37 CST 2003

On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 01:26 PM, Michael A. Turner wrote:

> The reason for leaving it in the car
> is the permit does not allow me to carry it anywhere they serve
> alcohol. So
> if I go anywhere sit down to eat I have to leave it behind because
> everywhere serves beer.

You might want to check further. Most states specify that if you're
seated in a restaurant in a section primarily used for serving food
(dining room) then it's ok to have your weapon with you. Of course, if
you're in the same establishment, but seated at the bar, or in the
section that is primarily for serving alcohol (the restaurants bar)
then you can NOT have it with you.

> I was
> particularly looking at glazer safety slugs at the time. He told me to
> never
> carry anything but standard ammo as their have been several cases
> where a
> justified shooting, when it went to court, was ruled unjustified on the
> basis of the person doing the shooting was using custom ammo. The
> prosecutors said that this man left the house with custom ammo
> therefore he
> was looking for trouble and must have put himself in a situation were
> he had
> to shoot someone, based on the evidence that he had planned for it
> obviously
> by spending $100s on his weapons and ammo. Because he had planed to
> shoot
> someone, and had, the shooting was premeditated and therefore not a
> justified shooting. The jury bought the argument and convicted the guy
> of
> murder.

Well, I'm sure this happened, but the same argument could be used that
just carrying the gun means you're 'looking for trouble'. A few years
ago I was arrested for aggravated assault based on the fact that I had
a gun with me when approaching a person's house whom I had just had an
argument with. The charges were later dropped when they found out that
I ALWAYS have a gun with me (I hadn't armed myself specifically to go
over to this person's house). Which brings up another point...

When I was getting my TN CCW it was right before TN & FL announced
reciprocity between the states, so I had already taken the required
safety course to get the TN license, and in that course they said
something I had never heard in any other course (but I had already
pretty well figured out), and that is IF you have to use a gun for self
defense, plan on taking a trip downtown wearing a new set of stainless
steel bracelets! You're never going to have the police at the scene
decide it was a justified shooting, and release you, and that if you do
shoot somebody, it IS going to cost a bunch of money in legal fees. Of
course the only time you should shoot somebody is if you really feel
your life is threatened, so considering the options, I'll take legal
trouble over death anytime :)

Or as a friend of mine who was a deputy in FL used to say "You might
beat the rap, but you're not going to beat the ride"

And to answer the question about what ammo to carry, I carry Winchester
Silvertips in my .44 revolver, and I have supposedly now 'law
enforcement only rounds' .45 Black Talons in my govt model. As far as
Glaser Safety Slugs, I would think a good arguement could be made for
trying to be a responsible gun owner by using them, after all they are
specifically designed NOT to penetrate hard objects, so if you shoot at
somebody they're not going to kill somebody after going thru some
walls, 3 houses over! (I used to carry Glasers in my Glock.)

-Mike