Radio Shack - Was:[geeks] Octane light bar

Mike Hebel nimitz at owc.net
Tue Sep 10 22:00:52 CDT 2002

Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 03:11:58AM -0400, Michael Schiller wrote:
>
>>paid on commission, it's more like an occasional thing. They also get
>>bonuses from either the company itself, or the cell phone companies, etc.
>>(they call them spiffs), this is why they're so enthusiastic about selling
>>those high ticket items.

"Spiffs"  They usually suck individually but if you get a lot of them
they add up.  When I was working there the big one was IIRC a hundered
dollars for signing someone up for Mictosoft DSL service.
Between that and $50/pop for cell sales the Spiffs make a big difference
in your very miniscule paycheck.

> One of the local RSes *refused* to sell me a satelite system (DirecTV)
> because I wasnt a *new* customer and they wouldnt get the kickback from
> DTV for signing up a new customer.
>
> "Sorry, you'll have to go elsewhere to buy a system..."

You should call the corporate office - he's most definitely _not_
supposed to do that.  They'll either seriously cut his pay or can his
ass almost immediately.  The corporate offices hate that stuff because
they run on local sales _amount_ not just new customers.

> So, I went to Best Buy and got what I needed.

Best Buy is not bad AFAIC - just no one there ever seems to have a clue.
  A friend asked me why I wasn't working there and I told him it's
because I _know_ something. ;-)

Mike Hebel