[geeks] Linux 2.5

Jochen Kunz jkunz at maja.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Oct 31 09:02:44 CST 2002

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 09:12:12AM -0500, Caleb Shay wrote:

> Linux has had a working ISAPnP since since at LEAST 1995
Yes, I know that sort of support, I used it myself (back in the
days when I was a virgin *ix fellow.)
But this kind of support was no PnP, as you had to handconfigure
what should be done automagicly by the system. And it is a bad
and evil hack to manipulate hardware with a userland tool.
This things have to be done by the kernel.
This whole old Linux ISAPnP stuff is the typical Linux quick
and dirty hack. It is sh... Period.
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen