[geeks] Linux 2.5

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Thu Oct 31 08:12:12 CST 2002

Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On 2002.10.30 22:08 Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>

>>It appears from reports that ISAPNP support is much saner and no
>>longer requires futzing with userspace config programs
>
> Hahahaha. How long has FreeBSD a working ISAPnP? 5 years?

Linux has had a working ISAPnP since since at LEAST 1995 (when I first
remember using it), it's just that it required a user-space tool and a
(partially) hand-configured file.  It was actually not that bad a process:

pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf

<uncomment the lines in /etc/isapnp.conf that reflected the
configuration you wanted, generally just the first stanza of each device>

 From then on you just added to your init scripts:

isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf

Of course, I haven't had a computer that actually had any ISA devices in
years, so it's all moot for me now.

Caleb