[geeks] Linux 2.5

Shawn Wallbridge swallbridge at franticfilms.com
Wed Oct 30 17:41:55 CST 2002

Joshua D Boyd wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 12:26:48AM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:
>

>>On Wednesday 30 October 2002 9:39 pm, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>>

>>>I've known people to have trouble with reiserfs
>>>

>>I've heard of significant problems with reiserfs, but never experienced
>>any. I personally believe those problems were due to a "bad" release of
>>reiserfs.
>>
>>I did quite a bit of testing of reiserfs before using it on my web cache
>>cluster, and it's now been in production for 6 months with never a
>>glitch (or not a filesystem one).
>>

>The main guy I knew using it finally chucked it as a problem between the
>raid controller, lvm, and reiserfs.  I believe he said he thought he'd
>use ext3fs next, but I left before he got to it.  I guess this was about
>2 years ago though, so probably not fair to still hold it against
>reiserfs.
>

>>>and xfs and jfs.  I
>>>

>>To be honest, you'll probably find people who've had problems with every
>>filesystem if you hunt hard enough.
>>

>Probably.  This is just what I come across without hunting though.

Well, I have used ext3, xfs and reiserfs regularly. On my web server I
am running reiserfs, on a file server here we are running reiserfs and
on my machine at home I am running XFS. All have been trouble free for
me. My web server has been up for almost a year, the file server is
hammered pretty good and my machine at home has only been up for a
month, but it is doing pretty good too.

On a side note, my Indigo2 Solid Impact just showed up. So I am happy.
Now I need ram.

shawn