[geeks] I really don't get it ...

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Tue Oct 22 15:41:05 CDT 2002

nimitz at speakeasy.net writes:

>No, you read it right.  I'm one of those nuts who doesn't like large
>systems that are currently working messed with so when I look at any
>large system I immediately assume that all the small changes will most
>likely make something big change regardless of how far away from A to B
>the changes are.  Kind of like a box-elder bug in a VME bus - it _will_
>short something when a board is pulled/installed.  There is no if.

>With the H2O thing I don't have enough data to judge what an increase in
>the atmospheric moisture would do over time. IANAC (I Am Not A
>Climatologist - or whatever the proper term is.)  but I look at a larger
>amount of moisture as a slightly denser atmosphere, thus affecting
>sunlight, thermal retention, and other unknowns.

Certainly a valid concern. Recent glacier meltings in the arctic
region have been noticably decreasing the salinity of the surface
water in the North Atlantic in the past decade or two. That may
well lead to the gulf stream stalling, which would send Europe
into a "mini ice age".

Complex systems are hard to predict.

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
----------- When Heaven is full, the dead shall walk the earth. -----------