[geeks] I really don't get it ...

Mike Hebel nimitz at speakeasy.net
Tue Oct 22 15:53:29 CDT 2002

dave at cca.org wrote:
> nimitz at speakeasy.net writes:
>

>>No, you read it right.  I'm one of those nuts who doesn't like large
>>systems that are currently working messed with so when I look at any
>>large system I immediately assume that all the small changes will most
>>likely make something big change regardless of how far away from A to B
>>the changes are.  Kind of like a box-elder bug in a VME bus - it _will_
>>short something when a board is pulled/installed.  There is no if.
>

>>With the H2O thing I don't have enough data to judge what an increase in
>>the atmospheric moisture would do over time. IANAC (I Am Not A
>>Climatologist - or whatever the proper term is.)  but I look at a larger
>>amount of moisture as a slightly denser atmosphere, thus affecting
>>sunlight, thermal retention, and other unknowns.
>

> Certainly a valid concern. Recent glacier meltings in the arctic
> region have been noticably decreasing the salinity of the surface
> water in the North Atlantic in the past decade or two. That may
> well lead to the gulf stream stalling, which would send Europe
> into a "mini ice age".

Hmm...I hadn't heard that one.  I need to read more since I now have
actual broadband to download large books and PDFs.  (Was there anybody
that actually came up with a good print and binding solution for large
computer-bound files?  My iBook isn't wireless yet. ;-)

As for the glacial melting and global warming I'm just wondering how
long it'll take before The Keys are under water. ;-)

> Complex systems are hard to predict.

Indeed.  Some people can't even get small systems like computers right.
*grin*

Mike Hebel