[geeks] IRIX questions

Simeon Johnston simeonuj at indivisuallearning.com
Thu Oct 17 12:17:22 CDT 2002

Another question now.  I installed SSH from the freeware packages and it
failed on something.  I was a bit too liberal w/ the enter key and the
screen cleared before I could get the error down.
Basically it doesn't have the ssh user setup so it won't run.  I thought
it ran as root usually.
So now I can't start it up and I don't remember how it was supposed to
be fixed.  It tells you right there during the install, "You have to do
this to get ssh to startup", and I went and forgot to write it down.

> > I have a SGI Origin 200 running Irix 6.5.
>
> You lucky bastard.  I have an Octane, but I'm not using the
> gfx.  Wanna
> trade? ;)

Uh... nah.
;-)

> Gee.  That must suck to have a 64-bit SMP machine sitting
> there and you
> just -having- to maintain it.  :)

I wish.  Only one proc installed.  It's kinda a basic config.
Though it still kicks the other servers around for pure data throughput.
It's nice when it copies faster to the local fileserver then the
external SCSI drive attached to your machine.
Gives ya, whatizcalled... perspective.  Ya that's it.

> > BTW, I just got Cygwin/X on my PC and am doing most of this via a
> > remote
> > Xterm.
> > Man I like it when things play nice. :-)

>You got that to work?  I couldn't get it to stop segfaulting on me.

segfaulting?  It's worked perfectly for me from the start.  I'm using
the newest version from Cygwin if that helps any.

sim