[geeks] IRIX questions

Jonathan C Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Oct 17 12:32:14 CDT 2002

On Thursday, Oct 17, 2002, at 12:17 US/Central, Simeon Johnston wrote:

> So now I can't start it up and I don't remember how it was supposed to
> be fixed.  It tells you right there during the install, "You have to do
> this to get ssh to startup", and I went and forgot to write it down.

Go into the software manager and remove it.  Then reinstall it.  I
couldn't tell you what it's asking you to do, since I haven't used the
freeware packages in over a year.  Maybe it's asking you to make a
symlink from some script into the /etc/rc2.d directory or asking you to
install a script that starts prngd.

> I wish.  Only one proc installed.  It's kinda a basic config.
> Though it still kicks the other servers around for pure data
> throughput.
> It's nice when it copies faster to the local fileserver then the
> external SCSI drive attached to your machine.
> Gives ya, whatizcalled... perspective.  Ya that's it.

No doubt.  Octane, Origin and Onyx2 all have tremendous throughput and
make excellent database machines.  XIO is a wonderful component
interconnect architecture.  It's a shame that the O300s are PCI instead
of XIO.

>> You got that to work?  I couldn't get it to stop segfaulting on me.
>
> segfaulting?  It's worked perfectly for me from the start.  I'm using
> the newest version from Cygwin if that helps any.

It's been two or three months since I tried it.  The last time I ran
it, it was slow and liked to segfault on more complicated apps.  XTerm
and rxvt were fine, but I'd be lucky if I could get WindowMaker to come
up at all without crashing the X server.  It was probably just a
maturity issue, since XFree hasn't been running on Cygwin for very long.

--
Jonathan C. Patschke
Celestrion Information Systems