[geeks] IRIX questions

Jonathan C Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Oct 17 11:48:21 CDT 2002

On Thursday, Oct 17, 2002, at 11:09 US/Central, Simeon Johnston wrote:

> I have a SGI Origin 200 running Irix 6.5.

You lucky bastard.  I have an Octane, but I'm not using the gfx.  Wanna
trade? ;)

> I'm trying to clean up the user accounts but I don't really know how
> IRIX is going to handle it.  I'm going to set all there shell's to
> /bin/false (not a problem) and am also going to remove the user
> directories.  What I'm wondering is what IRIX will do if they don't
> have
> a user directory specified.  When you login w/ a shell it seem to
> default to the root directory.

Well, do NOT specify / as the root directory.  That will make many Bad
Things happen.  Specify something like /tmp/non-existent.  So long as
the directory does not exist, it'll be happy.

> Keep in mind that I really don't have much experience w/ Irix.  I've
> been doing Linux admin and some playing w/ the SGI as there isn't
> anyone
> else to do it.

Gee.  That must suck to have a 64-bit SMP machine sitting there and you
just -having- to maintain it.  :)

> I would also like to enable Quota's for a few users (or a group, if
> possible).

You want the edquota and quotaon commands.  Their man pages are fairly
descriptive.  For a good overview, see the "quotas" man page.  Ignore
the stuff about EFS.  You're almost-certainly using XFS under 6.5.

> If you could also send any links to good beginner Irix admin sights,
> that would be most helpfull.

http://techpubs.sgi.com/ has all the documentation (books, man pages,
and service guides) available, and it's searchable.  It's probably all
installed on your Origin anyway, but SGI already has the full-text
index built, so searching doesn't take nearly as long.

> BTW, I just got Cygwin/X on my PC and am doing most of this via a
> remote
> Xterm.
> Man I like it when things play nice. :-)

You got that to work?  I couldn't get it to stop segfaulting on me.

--
Jonathan C. Patschke
Celestrion Information Systems