[geeks] IRIX questions

Simeon Johnston simeonuj at indivisuallearning.com
Thu Oct 17 11:09:36 CDT 2002

I have a SGI Origin 200 running Irix 6.5.

I'm trying to clean up the user accounts but I don't really know how
IRIX is going to handle it.  I'm going to set all there shell's to
/bin/false (not a problem) and am also going to remove the user
directories.  What I'm wondering is what IRIX will do if they don't have
a user directory specified.  When you login w/ a shell it seem to
default to the root directory.

Keep in mind that I really don't have much experience w/ Irix.  I've
been doing Linux admin and some playing w/ the SGI as there isn't anyone
else to do it.

I would also like to enable Quota's for a few users (or a group, if
possible).

I've just been doing some installing of GNU utilities and some other
cleaning and now I'm kinda stuck.

If you could also send any links to good beginner Irix admin sights,
that would be most helpfull.

sim

BTW, I just got Cygwin/X on my PC and am doing most of this via a remote
Xterm.
Man I like it when things play nice. :-)