[geeks] Apple Laserwriter 16/600PS

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Tue Oct 1 17:17:21 CDT 2002

[ On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 at 17:40:44 (-0400), Dave McGuire wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Apple Laserwriter 16/600PS
>
>    I just didn't want to go through the trouble.  Last I heard, netatalk
> had lots of 64-bit issues, and most of the machines here that I could
> use for that task are Alphas.

Rumour has it that the latest works on NetBSD/sparc64, but I haven't
tried yet....

> >> There doesn't seem to be a way to set a default gateway, though...only
> >> the IP address.
> >
> > Hmmm.... It should work.  Here's what I see when I telnet to it and
> > select the "Display TCP/IP Info..." menu:
>
>    I'm doing it via the Apple Printer Utility under MacOS 9.  Why?
> Because I don't have the password required to telnet to the printer.
> :-(  Are you aware of a way around that?

The manual says this in the troubleshooting section:

	The printer administrator forgot the password for the TCP/IP
	Printer Configuration Utility.

	See the service information that came with your pinter to learn
	how to get in touch with Apple.

However if I remember right there's a low-level reset switch hidden on
the main control board and it might reset the password.  If you haven't
opened one up before I strongly recommend checking the manual first (the
PDF should still be available online from Apple).  I think installing
the new ROM reset the password too.

The M$-Windows setup tool supposedly lets you change the password....
but maybe it requires the old one first....

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>