[geeks] Apple Laserwriter 16/600PS

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Oct 1 16:40:44 CDT 2002

On Tuesday, October 1, 2002, at 05:27 PM, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>> Subject: [geeks] Apple Laserwriter 16/600PS
>>
>>    I know there are some people here who have Apple LaserWriter
>> 16/600PS
>> printers, but I don't recall who offhand.
>
> ME me ME!  Pick ME!  :-)

   Weirdo. ;)

> Why not install netatalk on some BSD-LPR capable unix host on that
> network and then spool through it?  You get much better support for
> printing that way (eg. printed page accounting which actually works,
> proper error and status messages, etc.).  The LPR implementation in the
> printer basically stinks.  You could also probably set up better
> security much more easily for remote printing that way too, if that's a
> concern.

   I just didn't want to go through the trouble.  Last I heard, netatalk
had lots of 64-bit issues, and most of the machines here that I could
use for that task are Alphas.

>> There doesn't seem to be a way to set a default gateway, though...only
>> the IP address.
>
> Hmmm.... It should work.  Here's what I see when I telnet to it and
> select the "Display TCP/IP Info..." menu:

   I'm doing it via the Apple Printer Utility under MacOS 9.  Why?
Because I don't have the password required to telnet to the printer.
:-(  Are you aware of a way around that?

> You can buy the new firmware from Apple for about $20.  That's what I
> did.

   Hmm, I might do that.

> I don't know if the PROM burner I have (but have never used before) can
> copy PROMs, and if not then I've no easy way to read the 3.0 PROM I
> have
> (and I'm not lending it out to anyone for any amount of time!  :-)

   Understood.  I've never seen a prom burner that couln't copy, though.

> If I can find the old PROM, and if it is 2.0, and if it does support a
> default gateway, then you can have it though.

   That would be great!  Thanks!

      -Dave

St. Petersburg, FL       reboot and upgrade."    -Jonathan Patschke