[geeks] Apple Laserwriter 16/600PS

Andrew Sydelko andrew at sydelko.org
Tue Oct 1 22:51:06 CDT 2002

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 17:40:44 -0400 Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 1, 2002, at 05:27 PM, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> >> Subject: [geeks] Apple Laserwriter 16/600PS
> >>
> >>    I know there are some people here who have Apple LaserWriter
> >> 16/600PS
> >> printers, but I don't recall who offhand.
> >
> > ME me ME!  Pick ME!  :-)

I also have a 16/600PS. And it was free, with the extra 500 page
paper tray and the envelope feeder.

>    I'm doing it via the Apple Printer Utility under MacOS 9.  Why?
> Because I don't have the password required to telnet to the printer.
> :-(  Are you aware of a way around that?

There is a "backdoor" password for them that I had to find for my
printer. It's documented somewhere on Apple's Knowledge base. It's
based on part of the MAC address.

> > You can buy the new firmware from Apple for about $20.  That's what I
> > did.
>
>    Hmm, I might do that.

Yeah, me too. I'll have to remember to give them a call.

--andy.