[geeks] Apple Laserwriter 16/600PS

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Tue Oct 1 16:27:48 CDT 2002

[ On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 at 16:49:24 (-0400), Dave McGuire wrote: ]
> Subject: [geeks] Apple Laserwriter 16/600PS
>
>    I know there are some people here who have Apple LaserWriter 16/600PS
> printers, but I don't recall who offhand.

ME me ME!  Pick ME!  :-)

>  I have a dumb question about
> them.  I'm moving a few things around on my network, and I need to be
> able to print to this printer via TCP/IP from a different network.

Why not install netatalk on some BSD-LPR capable unix host on that
network and then spool through it?  You get much better support for
printing that way (eg. printed page accounting which actually works,
proper error and status messages, etc.).  The LPR implementation in the
printer basically stinks.  You could also probably set up better
security much more easily for remote printing that way too, if that's a
concern.

> There doesn't seem to be a way to set a default gateway, though...only
> the IP address.

Hmmm.... It should work.  Here's what I see when I telnet to it and
select the "Display TCP/IP Info..." menu:

           LaserWriter 16/600 PS
         TCP/IP Interface Information

    Interface Status        : Ready
    PostScript Banner Page  : Disabled
    IP Address              : Using network protocol (204.92.254.253)
    Subnet Mask             : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway         : 204.92.254.6
    Timeout Checking        : Enabled
    Ethernet Address        : 08:00:07:44:48:EC

 To return to main menu, press Enter.

(I set the gateway to my main default gateway so I could test my firewall :-)

>    My printer has Rev. 1.0 firmware (both PS and I/O).

Hmmm... I thought the 1.0 I/O PROMs were the same, but then again I may
have had the 2.0 version before.....  I can't seem to get my hands on an
old configuration page at the moment, or find the old PROMs.

>  Is there someone
> with a later firmware release that can check to see if it has support
> for real routing?  And if so, can I get a copy of that firmware?

You can buy the new firmware from Apple for about $20.  That's what I did.

The following old Tech Tip contains the part number:

See also:

I don't know if the PROM burner I have (but have never used before) can
copy PROMs, and if not then I've no easy way to read the 3.0 PROM I have
(and I'm not lending it out to anyone for any amount of time!  :-)

If I can find the old PROM, and if it is 2.0, and if it does support a
default gateway, then you can have it though.

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>