[geeks] The Next Big Thing (was: Oh my god...)

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Fri Nov 29 05:37:03 CST 2002

wstan at xs4all.nl writes:

>I think I am seeing the next big thing here in
>the Netherlands: Mobile phones with built in
>cameras that allow you to take a photo and send
>it to another person via email or whatever.

>In the last couple days I have seen people with
>these phones waving them around and snapping pictures.
>It is almost as bad as the people that walk around the city
>with video cameras. They hold the things up and walk
>about muttering dialog to the mic and miraculously avoid
>getting hit by pedestrians, bicyclist, trams, busses
>and cars.

I can understand real photographers, who try to take good
pictures and put some effort into it, and I can understand
the desire to have a record of what you see (ie: clipping
an unobtrusive video camera onto your body somewhere and
forgetting about it) but being a tourist with your every
waking moment is insane.

Cell phones are still an oddity in my crowd, so I generally
don't have to deal with any of this. :-)

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
----------- When Heaven is full, the dead shall walk the earth. -----------