[geeks] The Next Big Thing (was: Oh my god...)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Nov 29 10:11:43 CST 2002

On Friday, November 29, 2002, at 06:37 AM, dave at cca.org wrote:
>> I think I am seeing the next big thing here in
>> the Netherlands: Mobile phones with built in
>> cameras that allow you to take a photo and send
>> it to another person via email or whatever.
>
> I can understand real photographers, who try to take good
> pictures and put some effort into it, and I can understand
> the desire to have a record of what you see (ie: clipping
> an unobtrusive video camera onto your body somewhere and
> forgetting about it) but being a tourist with your every
> waking moment is insane.

   There is a very real reason for this, though admittedly it's not for
John Q. Public.  These little phone-cameras would have been worth their
weight in gold to me if I'd had one when I was visiting surplus
scrappers regularly.  Definitely a niche, but I'd have bought one
IMMEDIATELY if they'd come available then.

   That said, my phone has one...came with it for free.  I don't have
the money to visit surplus places much these days, so I haven't touched
it.

           -Dave