[geeks] Postscript question

Dave Kimmel crisco_kid at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 21 21:56:09 CST 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Jonathan C Patschke wrote:

> On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 12:46 AM, Dave Kimmel wrote:
> > How does OSX handle the resource fork on a UFS filesystem?
>
> In the same way.  You have $filename and ._$filename for each file that
> has a resource fork.  Apple refers to these pairs as "AppleDouble
> files".  If you work with files over SMB (and presumably NFS), you get
> these same double files.  The Finder, of course, won't show these
> resource files, but ls will.  I also doubt that cp/tar/cpio will
> properly copy the resource forks from files that aren't AppleDoubled,
> which is why ditto exists.

It sounds like tar and friends will work properly on a UFS filesystem, but
not an HFS one.  I'm not sure which scheme I like better since I see some
disadvantages to both, all of which revolve around the unix half of
things.  But that's where utilities like ditto come in to play.

> FWIW, my backup/restore went well, so it looks like ditto did its job.

Good to hear.  I'll keep ditto in mind if/when I get a Mac.

-- Dave Kimmel
   crisco_kid at shaw.ca