[geeks] Postscript question

Jonathan C Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Nov 21 00:58:20 CST 2002

On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 12:46 AM, Dave Kimmel wrote:

> Interesting - when I first heard about OSX being based on unix, I
> thought
> they'd use hidden directories for the resource fork.  Sort of like the
> RESOURCE.FRK directory on a DOS disk that's been used by a Mac.

That's what I thought, too, but it doesn't appear to work that way.

> How does OSX handle the resource fork on a UFS filesystem?

In the same way.  You have $filename and ._$filename for each file that
has a resource fork.  Apple refers to these pairs as "AppleDouble
files".  If you work with files over SMB (and presumably NFS), you get
these same double files.  The Finder, of course, won't show these
resource files, but ls will.  I also doubt that cp/tar/cpio will
properly copy the resource forks from files that aren't AppleDoubled,
which is why ditto exists.

FWIW, my backup/restore went well, so it looks like ditto did its job.

--
Jonathan C. Patschke
Celestrion Information Systems