[geeks] Postscript question

Jonathan C Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Nov 21 22:05:59 CST 2002

On Thursday, Nov 21, 2002, at 21:56 US/Central, Dave Kimmel wrote:

> It sounds like tar and friends will work properly on a UFS filesystem,
> but
> not an HFS one.

Correct.  This makes...some degree of sense, I suppose.  Unix tools
(tar/cpio) on a Unix filesystem; Mac tools (Stuffit/ditto) on a Mac
filesystem.

> I'm not sure which scheme I like better since I see some
> disadvantages to both, all of which revolve around the unix half of
> things.

I don't expect that to be a problem for long.  HFS metadata are
resource forks are pretty-much deprecated for new applications.
Developers are expected to use bundles and property-lists in new works.
  So, three or four years down the road, it won't matter, unless you're
using legacy applications.

> But that's where utilities like ditto come in to play.

Exactly.

> Good to hear.  I'll keep ditto in mind if/when I get a Mac.

Make sure you use -rsrcFork, or it'll just copy the data forks.  Don't
ask me why the default is so utterly useless.

--
Jonathan C. Patschke
Celestrion Information Systems