[geeks] Misuse of Java

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Nov 6 13:36:33 CST 2002

[ On Wednesday, November 6, 2002 at 10:13:20 (-0600), Mike Hebel wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Misuse of Java
>
> Popular Web Servers (With load balancing these may not even qualify.)

with load balancing, definitely not.

We've got a client with a fairly large and popular web site.  It gets an
average of a million page hits a day, but it is graphics and flash heavy
and it's primary users are kids and they use it most on Saturday
morning, so you can imagine how that million hits per day over a month
spikes on Sat. AM.  It's currently fed by a pair of Mac OS X boxes
fronted by a "pen"(*) load balancer running on a measly little
single-CPU Pentium-II 300MHz machine with a single 100baseT/FDX
interferface over which all the traffic flows four times over (due to
stupid firewall design criteria).

(*) http://siag.nu/pen/

> Database servers for LARGE databases.  (Anything SQL based seems to
> require an anvil of a server running at the speed of light.  Oracle
> databases especially.)

Most SQL engines really need RAM and high-speed secondary storage more
than CPU -- or at least that's the way it was a few years ago.

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>