[geeks] Misuse of Java

Mike Hebel nimitz at speakeasy.net
Wed Nov 6 10:13:20 CST 2002

Dave McGuire wrote:

>   You're operating under the assumption that every computer should
> always be based on the absolute fastest components available.  What if a
> computer doesn't NEED that for a particular application?

Oh, you mean like systems that do:

DNS
SSH/SSL
FTP
setiahome
firewall
almost_anything_people_want_to_do_at_home_except_games

and many more... /troll (not Dave though ;-)

About the only things that I have seen that need fast machines are:

Popular Web Servers (With load balancing these may not even qualify.)

Game machines (I wish someone would program games that don't require a
500mhz processor to run.)

Database servers for LARGE databases.  (Anything SQL based seems to
require an anvil of a server running at the speed of light.  Oracle
databases especially.)

Anything running Microsoft server technologies.  (Code bloat at it's
worst.)  /flamebait

Crypto breaking boxes.

There are other apps but I think you get my point.

Mike Hebel