[geeks] Losers.

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Mar 27 05:26:43 CST 2002

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 02:22:25PM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> Uhm, the incandescent bulbs flicker at 60Hz (in the US of A), just like
> the fluorescents.  I'm not sure why it's so much more noticable on the
> long fluorescent bulbs than on the CF, or the incandescents.

It's more noticeable because once an incandescent has heated up, it STAYS
heated up until you turn it off.  Errm, I'm finding it hard to explain how
fluorescents work in plain English, without waffling about electron 'orbits'
and crap, but suffice to say, they do turn completely off when the voltage
is at zero.

And if you think fluorescent flicker is bad at 60Hz, it's *horrid* at 50.

--
Grand Inquisitor Reverend David Cantrell | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

  attractivating: inducing the quality of being attractive,
     especially to members of the appropriate sex.  -- Henrik Levkowetz